Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Spring/La Primavera

Dana's Note: This was written in April, 2007, during a visit to Lago Maggiore in early spring. Tomorrow I am leaving for another visit there. And so it seemed an appropriate time to post this old story. Reading it again, two years after having written it, I'd have to say I still feel much the same way about Italy now as I did then, even more so. It's like, at that time I learned to see the possibilities, but dimly, and now, I see it all with a much sharper clarity than before... Yep, I think it'll always be spring there for me...



Primavera. Spring. Rebirth. A chance to begin again. Everything is new, everything is possible. Symbolically and literally, spring is youth, promise, and opportunity. Italy is my spring. It has come to symbolize that possibilities other than those I have always accepted are available to me, and, like the blossoms opening now on the trees, that I too can begin myself again.

Perhaps that is why, on the first day of April, I am noticing all around me the evidence of this rebirth. I am in the Giardino Botanico Alpinia, high above Lago Maggiore. There is a stone path that meanders through the garden, and flower beds along the sides. In each flower bed there is a small sign with the name of the plant growing there. In most beds there is nothing to see, or only the smallest indication of a plant, perhaps only the smallest tip of green pushing its way up through the soil. But the little signs, that say Dianthus Barbatus, Erysium Cheiri, etc., these are promises, a guarantee, that the plant will in fact arrive again someday. They will begin again, another season for them...

In the mornings, I wake when it is still dark out. In the blackness I can hear the song of a bird. Soon, others join him. As the sun rises and becomes more brilliant their song grows more strong. I recognize the sounds as spring sounds, sounds of work and excitement and happiness, because they have much work to do, they know that the nests they are making will soon be occupied with new lives...

Later, I am in a cantiere in Stresa. A man named Marco is working hard to prepare his boats for spring. It doesn't matter what damages or injuries they have suffered, by the summer they will be as new. I sit on a nearby table and observe him silently. He is, in this moment, working on a 1959 Riva Ariston. The wooden hull is like half of a walnut shell right now, upside down on the floor, creating a little hiding space underneath. It has been sanded down and now has once more the appearance of new wood. There are some holes in the hull where eventually metal fastenings will be connected. The currently hollow inside will soon have three rows of cushioned turquoise seats. The dashboard will be filled with gleaming brass dials and instruments. There will be a metal steering wheel, and in just a few months the Riva will be cruising along on the lake, someone's hands on that wheel, with all the energy and enthusiasm of a young boy. A new life for the Riva.

And so it goes. I walk along the lake and I ponder what all this means to me. It's true that Italy feels like spring to me, it rejuvenates me. And it comes to me, I think, that the secret is to always be a little bit like spring. Always be renewing, both inside and out, always begin new projects, thinking always ahead, never behind, with optimism and hope, welcoming every new possibility and promise, as does spring. And if I should forget this time to time, I'll simply return to Italy, to remind me of it again...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Primavera. Rinascita, ripristino, un occasione per riniziare ancora. Tutto e' nuovo, tutto e' possibile. Simbolicamente e letteralmente, la primavera e' gioventù, opportunità e promessa. L’Italia e' la mia primavera. Qui, sento che ci sono possibilità per me che non avevo immaginato prima, e come i fiori che sbocciano in questi giorni sugli alberi, anch'io mi sento fiorire quando sono qui.

Ho avuto questa sensazione questa mattina, il primo giorno di Aprile. Osservo dappertutto intorno a me i segni da questa rinascita. Sono al Giardino Botanico Alpinia, sulla montagna Mottorone, sovrastante il Lago Maggiore. C'è un sentiero d'ardesia grigio da seguire che è meandro attraverso l'aiuole. Ogni aiuola ha un piccolo cartello piantato nella terra che indica che tipo di fiore sta crescendo li, ma in questi giorni, nella maggiore parte dell'aiuole non c’è niente da vedere. Comunque, i cartellini con scritto Dianthus Barbatus, Erysium Cheiri, ecc., sono una promessa, una certezza, che ben presto i fiori sarebbero ritornati.....

Mi sono svegliata quando fuori era ancora buio. Nell'oscurità sentivo il canto di un uccello. Un po di tempo dopo, alla sua voce se ne sono aggiunte altre , e come il sole diventava più brillante anche i cinguettii diventavano piu forti. Capisco da questi rumori che è primavera. Rumori di lavoro, di eccitazione e di felicità perché loro hanno tanto da fare, perché sanno che i nidi che stanno facendo saranno presto occupati ….

Poi sono andata da un restauratore nautico. Un'uomo che si chiama Marco lavora per preparare le sue barche prima della stagione estiva. Non e' importante che danni hanno subito, per l'estate saranno tutte come nuove. Io mi siedo sul vicino tavolo e lo guardo in silenzio. In quel momento lui stava levigando con pazienza il fondo di un Riva Ariston dal 1959. Lo scafo di legno e' al rovescio e sembra mezzo guscio di una noce. Non passerà molto tempo prima che i buchi nel legno diventeranno scintillanti fanali cromati. Nell’interno ora vuoto metterà due file di posti a sedere in pelle bianca e turchese. Trenta mani di vernice sulle fiancate saranno lucidate a fondo sino a quando non ti ci potrai riflettere dentro come se fossero uno specchio. Sul cruscotto saranno montati strumenti cromati luccicanti ed un antico volante dirigerà il pesante timone di metallo. In pochi mesi quel Riva sarà sul lago ancora, scivolerà rapidamente sull’acqua, con l'energia di un ragazzo giovane che sta giocando. Sarà pronto a vivere una nuova vita….

Cammino a piedi sul lungolago di Stresa e medito sul significato di tutto questo. E' vero che L’Italia e' come una primavera per me, mi rigenera. Ma capisco che il segreto e' cercare di vivere sempre in primavera. Rinnovarsi sempre, iniziare nuovi e diversi progetti, guardare sempre avanti e non indietro. Certo, e' più facile a dirsi che a farsi. Non c’è niente di meglio per me che tornare in Italia di tanto in tanto per ricordarmelo.

3 comments:

Nora said...

You’ve expressed absolutely beautiful sentiments here about Italy in the spring … so poetic and full of feeling … a real joy to read…

Buone vacanze!!

Dana Kaplan said...

Grazie for your nice words Eleonora... And ciao from Stresa...

Diana Strinati Baur said...

ciao amica - send me a quick email whenever you can!!